Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Sending You Sunshine

I have a hard time committing to one style but if I absolutely had to I think I would choose CAS (Clean and Simple) Mixed Media. I do like the clean look but I also like to try out different techniques. So I was very excited when I read that there would be a new challenge called CAS Mix Up. It is run by two amazing ladies: Loll and Bonnie. I always was a bit intimidated by mixed media but they make it very easy to understand. Their first challenge is going on at the moment and it is:





With "your choice" they ask us to pick something from the list on the right side of their blog. I picked die-cutting and stitching (the watercolor panel has stitches around the border).








Stamps: Hero Arts (sentiment)
Dies: PTI (word die), Nestabilities ("sun"), SSS (rectangle)


For the sun I used a technique that I learned years ago and haven't done since then. Unfortunately I don't know what it's called. There are probably tutorials around but since we don't know the name how should we search for them? If any of you knows the name of this technique let me know and I'll add it to this post. Also tell me if you would like me to try and do a tutorial myself. It's pretty easy. I remember when I was first introduced to it we had to trace around a template and cut out all those points! Then they came out with very expensive punches which I fortunately did not buy. Now it's easy to do with dies! 

Since this was the first time I was using the "sunshine" die I am squeezing in at Darnell's NBUS challenge before the door closes. I love how she challenges us to use the stuff we keep buying!


Never-Before-Used-Schtuff (Stamps, Dies, EFs, etc.)



Also entering it into the STAMPloration CAS Challenge:







Thanks so much for spending some time with me! Your visits and comments make my day!

Hugs,
Susanne



21 comments:

Greta said...

Striking & beautiful--makes me think summer! Love this, Susanne!

Happy Dance said...

Stunning! That sun is amazing, and I love it!! Wish I could help you with the name, but have no idea either. Your blue panel is so rich; I love the yellow against it. Both colors just pop. Gorgeous card. Bev

sandie said...

Wow the stitiching looks amazing and I wouldn't dream of doing this, I will just take joy in looking at your card x

Loll said...

Love the bright blue watercoloured panel ... so pretty paired with the bright yellow of your die-cut sentiment. And that sun is AMAZING! Love the technique ... and I think it might be called "string art". I remember when I was really young, my sister used to make them, but they used nails to outline a design and then wrapped string around them. This is a very updated version. So cool!! Thanks Susanne, for sharing your amazing card with us as CAS Mix Up! xx

papierelle said...

Das sieht ja faszinierend aus!! Und Deine Sonne ist Spitze!! Ich kenne die Technik auch, aber nicht genau den Namen. ich selber habe es noch nicht gemacht, aber meine Mutti sehr viel.
LG Gundi

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Oh my goodness, this is an amazing card! I have seen that this kind of work with the thread (sorry I don't know the name either) is getting popular again in home decor. It is so great! TFS!
~~Heidi @ My Little Stamping Blog

Bonnie said...

Your card just shines in the gallery, Susanne! The bright, beautiful sun pops against the rich blue background! Definitely do a tutorial for the string art! It's amazing and a form of mixed media too! I would cringe when I thought of mixed media. But Loll kept telling me I was doing it and just not calling it that. She finally convinced me! Looks to me like you've embraced it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

cm said...

Susanne, another card that sees me blown. away! Your string art sun is supremely eye-catching (yes to a tutorial, please); the *sky* background, stunning. WOW...you are on a creative roll that impresses immensely! I may have to give the new CAS Mix Up challenge a closer look...
Hugs~c

MaryH said...

Oh this is breathtaking. Love the deep rich blue with the gold of this string art sun. A brilliant CAS design...I am not sure if this is rightly called string art, or spirography or some such. Our DD had some kind of toy as a child, where you did the string stuff, and I've seen crafters use some of the S/B dies to create this design. Well done on your CAS Mix entry. TFS & take care.

Cathy said...

What an amazing card Susanne! I did string art with nails years and years ago that had a similar look to this. So creative, it adds so much texture, Cathy x

Shona Chambers said...

So gorgeous and absolutely love the way you did the sun, its spectacular!!!!!!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Na das ist aber eine tolle Sonne! Super Klasse diese Idee! Na, wenn die nicht gewinnt, dann weiss ich's auch nicht....

Anita in France said...

Bold and bright and vibrant, Susanne ... what an awesome sun ... the shimmery thread really makes it shine! Sorry, don't know the name of the technique ... but you used it beautifully! Hugs, Anita :)

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Brilliant make of the sun, I would love a tutorial Susanne. The card is full of summer warmth, I can't wait!

Love and hugs
Maarit

aufspapiergebracht said...

Wow, was für eine farbenfrohe Karte. Allein schon die Idee mit der Sonne, ist der Oberhammer!!!
Wenn ich mal groß bin, dann ...... ;))!!!
GlG Elisabeth

Neha said...

Love the color combination and that sun idea is brilliant! so cheerful!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Your sun looks amazing!!
Such a gorgeous card
Ps : I am having a celebration on my blog with prizes...would love to have you join in.Here is the link : 5 Million Page-views Celebration

Manuela said...

schöne Karte und die Sonne sieht super aus.
Bei der Karte bekommt man Urlaubslaune :-)
(ich schau mal bei der Challenge vorbei...:-) )

Darnell said...

It's always so fun to see a new and unique card design and I just love this, Susanne! It reminds me of playing with the Spirograph and we did something like that as kids wrapping string around nails. I think I would enjoy doing it like this!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #6 two times! I love your pretty blossom card you entered first! I'm sorry I'm very late in coming by to comment. Enjoy your day!! Hugs, Darnell

Ksenija @Sweet Kobylkin said...

Susanne, absolutely elegant card! Love your CAS layout and colour choice! Thanks for sharing with us at STAMPlorations CAS Card Challenge. - Ksenija

Lindsey said...

Ooh! Wonderful sun! X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...